Last Updated 21st July 2020
LEXIS REOPENING - FAQs Please note: These FAQs will be updated as necessary.
As we mentioned in our previous blog entry, we have been busy getting ready to welcome students and staff back to Lexis. Now we are delighted to announce that we will be reopening our school very soon. For more information, read on!
1. When will Lexis School of English reopen for face-to-face classes?
We are reopening in two phases.
Phase 1 – From Monday 10 August 2020 we will reopen the school to 1-1 students and small groups, with our Bespoke Discover London courses. For more details, please click on the following link:
Phase 2 – From Monday 7th September we will reopen for face-to-face group lessons.
2. Can I book classes before 10th August?
Yes, of course!
Our school building has been closed since 20th March 2020 in line with government / English UK advice. However, since 20th April, we have been running online lessons., which have been highly successful. Students who never experienced online learning before have commented on the fact that it has been a very positive experience.
To find out more about our online classes, click here:
3. How will you make sure that learning English is a safe and secure experience for everybody?
We take the safety of our staff, students, partners and visitors very seriously and we have introduced a number of measures to ensure we create a secure learning environment. All our actions are guided by the latest English UK and UK Government advice.
- Smaller class sizes – Maximum 8 students in order to comply with social distancing guidelines.
- Social distancing throughout the school – at least 1 metre, plus additional measures. Floor markings, poster and signs will help show the required distance.
- No mixing with other classes. Students will stay with their class in their classroom.
- Classrooms will be separate from each other e.g. on separate floors of the building.
- Only one teacher will be allocated to each class.
- During breaktime, students will either stay in their classroom or may leave the building, providing they maintain social distancing on the stairs and remember to sanitise their hands upon re-entry.
- Hand sanitising stations throughout the school. Everyone must wash / sanitise their hands upon entering the building and at regular intervals while on the school premises.
- Only one person may use the stairs at a time to avoid crossing and unnecessary contact.
- To aid ventilation, windows and doors will be left open as much as possible. Fans will also be used in hot weather.
- Classrooms will be thoroughly cleaned at the end of each day.
- Toilets will be cleaned regularly throughout the day.
- Where possible, digital materials will be used instead of handouts.
- Students will have their own copy of the course book and this will not be shared with others.
- Where possible, we will operate a ‘virtual’ reception. Students will be encouraged to email any requests or arrange an online meeting via Skype or Zoom.
- If students need to speak face-to-face with reception, they must book an appointment. Only one student at a time will be allowed in the reception area.
4. What will happen before I arrive?
When you book your course, you will complete our online registration process . This means that we will already have all the necessary contact information we require, such as your contact details in your country and the UK, your UK address and your travel arrangements (if applicable).
5. Will I have to quarantine when I arrive in the UK?
On 10th July 2020 the UK government published a list of countries and territories from where you can travel to England and may not have to self-isolate.
For more information, including what to do if you need to self-isolate, please click on the link below.
6. Do I need to bring anything?
Wearing face coverings is now mandatory on public transport and in shops in England.
We recommend bringing at least a week’s supply of face coverings and hand sanitiser with you. If you require more, these can be bought here in London. Home-made face coverings are acceptable, as long as they completely cover your nose and mouth. Face coverings / masks are only effective for up to 4hours, so if you need to wear one for longer periods, you will need to carry 2 or 3 with you and change as necessary.
For your classes, you will need to bring enough pens, pencils, paper and any other stationery items you want to use as you will not be able to share another student's stationery.
7. What will happen if I have to cancel or postpone my course at the last minute?
You may now cancel up to 7 days before your course start date and you will receive a full refund.
You may postpone your course for up to 2 years.
So you can now book with confidence!
8. How can I get to and from the airport safely?
We can organise safe airport transfers to take you to your accommodation. All vehicles are sanitised. The driver will wear a facemask and will have received COVID-19 health and safety training.
9. What if somebody gets COVID-19 after the school has reopened?
If this happens, we may need to close the school for up to 2 days for deep cleaning. Any lessons you have during this time will either take place online or will be added to the end of your course (at our discretion).
If you feel unwell and suspect you have COVID-19 symptoms, you must tell us immediately if you are on site or call the school.
If you are at school, we will send you home.
You will need to self-isolate for a minimum of 7 days. Your host family or other people in your accommodation will also need to self-isolate for 14 days. The school will keep in regular contact with you to check you are well and have everything you need. You can also contact the school at any time if you need to.
10. What will happen if the school has to close for a long period?
If the government orders schools to close again, you will not lose any lessons. You can either transfer your course online or freeze your course.
11. Help! My question isn’t answered here!
Don’t worry, you are welcome to ask us any other questions you may have by emailing email@example.com