Dedicated to you



  • Please visit to check if you need a visa and to ensure that you understand the requirements of obtaining a UK visa.
  • You can only apply for your visa once you have been given a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. If you are applying from outside the UK, the earliest you can apply is three months before the start date of your course.
  • The UK immigration authorities require us to see and retain a copy of your passport or official travel document and keep complete, up to date student information; including your contact details in the UK and abroad.
  • It is your responsibility to inform us of any changes immediately. You can do this by logging into your account or by emailing us the new details.
  • We have no control over, and cannot be held responsible, for any UK visa regulation changes at any time.
  • Please read in our T&Cs information on course cancellations, refunds and postponement of your course start date.


Applying to study in the UK 

The United Kingdom exited the European Union on 31 January 2020.

Good news! EU and non-EU citizens will be treated equally. The UK is still open!

Non - EUEEA members or Swiss citizens wanting to visit the UK - for up to 6 months will need a valid national passport, and will need to apply for a Standard Visitors Visa


EU citizens wanting to study in the UK - for up to 6 months

You will not need a visa to come to the UK. You can stay in the UK as a student for up to 6 months without a visa.

Business visitors and tourists will be all able to come in as visitors, which means business people and tourists are free to study for the whole of their stay if they want to. 

You must provide a valid passport or travel document. Your passport should be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK.

You may also be asked to prove that:

  • you’ve been accepted on to a course by an accredited institution, for example a letter of acceptance on official headed paper stating the course name, duration and cost
  • your research or training is relevant to the course you’re studying overseas, for example a letter from your home education institution describing how it’s relevant
  • you’re able to support yourself and your dependents during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you)
  • you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey (or have funding from someone else)
  • you’ve arranged accommodation for your stay
  • you’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit

EU citizens wanting to study in the UK - for 6 to 11 months 

You’ll need a visa to study in the UK but the visa you apply for depends on your circumstances.

  • If you’re studying on an English language course for up to 11 months, apply for a Short-term study visa.
  • If you’re coming to study on a further or higher education course, apply for a Student visa.
  • Or if you’re aged 4 to 17 and coming to study at an independent school, apply for a Child Student visa.

EU citizens already living in the UK

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021. It’s free to apply to the scheme.

Good news for Graduates

As of January 2021, the Student visa has replaced the Tier 4 (General) student visa. 

Before You Arrive

We have tried to think ahead, so you can relax and enjoy your stay. As soon as we have received your completed registration, we will send you detailed information about your course, and accommodation if you have booked it, as well as the relevant guidelines.

For now though, here are some things you need to consider:

Think about travel before you arrive. It could save you money and time. Many visitors opt for the Visitors Oyster Card but you must order it before you travel to London Visitors Oyster Card

 Check if you need to renew your European Health Insurance - EHIC card. A hospital visit could be very expensive without it. See in the Insurance (Health & Travel) below.


While an EHIC card allows EEA and Swiss nationals to receive free or reduced cost medical treatment, it is not a substitute for travel insurance as there are several things it does not cover, such as repatriation, air ambulances, certain types of procedure, emergency accommodation and transport.


 You might want to consider travel insurance. Better safe than sorry! See in the Insurance (Health & Travel) below.
We advise all students to take photocopies of all travel documents and flight tickets. They are easier to replace if lost or damaged.


Plan your stay. London is a vibrant city with a lot to offer. Check out Visit London Guide

Our Travel Tips below will give you all the information you need about the various transport methods in London

Your First Day

On your first day please bring:
Your Passport (or EU ID)
Notebook, pen or pencil 
Confirmation of Enrolment
Your love for learning and a smile!


After a warm welcome from the Lexis team you will be shown to your class and meet your fellow students


Level Assessment Interview 
You will be placed in a class based on the information you have provided during registration. Your teacher will know that it is your first lesson and so will monitor your progress carefully. After your first class, you will have a level assessment interview with the Director of Studies/ member of the academic management team, which will help us ensure the correct level.

Travel Tips for London Visitors / Think Different


The cheapest way to get around in Central London is walking, however be careful when crossing the street.

Markings on the roads help you remember which direction to look. Just look down before you cross.

In the UK, we drive on the left so take care crossing the road. Read this information carefully. It is written for children, but useful for adults also: Green Cross Code



Many visitors opt for the Visitors Oyster Card but you must order it before you come. Visitors Oyster Card
Types of transportation in London:
The Tube  Watch what everybody else does and copy them, especially on escalators on the tube during rush hour when it’s very busy
Red Buses Put your arm out to signal a bus to stop. Standing at the bus stop not putting your arm out makes you look like you're waiting for a different bus
Uber  You need to download the Uber App / Don't travel alone in the evenings
Taxis/ minicabs
Santander Bikes
Overground Trains
Download the CityMapper app before coming to London: Citymapper App
Have a look at the various downloadable maps London's Free Maps 


Insurance (Health & Travel)

Travel insurance

We highly recommend to arrange full travel insurance cover before arriving in the UK. The National Union of Students (NUS) recommends Endsleigh


Health insurance

If you're a visitor from an EU country and you fall ill or have a medical emergency during your temporary stay in England, you can continue to use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). 


What will happen in 2021?

The deal on the future relationship between the EU and the UK was announced on 24 December. It says that all EHIC cards issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry date.

After that, the UK will issue a replacement which the UK government says will be called the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), but there are no further details yet on how to obtain it.

Like EHIC, the new card will cover chronic or existing illnesses and routine maternity care as well as emergencies.

However the UK government still advises that you should buy travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go on holiday.


What about health cover for EU citizens living in the UK?


EU nationals who were living in the UK before the end of 2020 will be able to continue using the NHS for their healthcare while resident here.


Healthcare deals with non-EU countries


The UK has reciprocal health deals with a few non-EU countries, including Australia and New Zealand, under which visitors can receive urgent treatment at a reduced cost or for free.

In other words, visitors are treated as if they are resident of the country in question.

But unlike the EHIC, the agreements do not cover pre-existing conditions.



Opening a UK Bank Account

It is possible for students to open a bank account in the UK.

Documents required:

  • Passport
  • Bank letter from the school (use the letter request form & hand it in at reception)
  • Sometimes you can be asked for proof of address (bills for example)


  • Try banks in areas which are not too busy
  • If unsuccessful with a bank, don’t give up, just try another one
The following banks have branches in Finchley: Barclays, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds TSB & NatWest.


More and more students open online bank accounts. The most popular amongst students is Monzo

Approximate costs of leisure activities

London is an expensive city to live in and prices for different activities can vary enormously, depending on when you do them and the exact location.
Some places will have a discount price for students, so remember to take your Lexis Student ID with you!

The table below gives you a idea of how much you can expect to spend:

Activity Approximate Cost
Pub visit From £5 per pint of beer
Lunch (in a cafe) From £5
Dinner/ evening meal in a fast food restaurant From £5
Dinner/ evening meal in a restaurant From £10
Cinema ticket From £10
Bowling From £10
Theatre ticket From £25
Museums / Attractions Many are free to enter; with £5 - £25 charges
for special exhibitions


Gabriel - one of our 1st Full Time English language students - 2012 

See Gabriel's video here

Queen's Guard

Our corporate clients include:

Lexis School of English