English Language Courses
Designed to engage and give teenagers the opportunity to practise the English they have been learning all year at home. This is an intensive, fun, programme of Morning English lessons in the classroom followed by "Real English" lessons throughout London in the afternoons.
For students aged 12 to 15.
Junior English Courses in London
Book this course
For teenagers (12-15) who want to experience a fun-packed summer practising the English they have learnt at home and make friends from all over the world.
The students are encouraged to interact with each other and use English in real situations.
|Morning programme (9.00am - 12.15pm)
|English language classes specially designed for teenagers
Afternoon activity programme (1.00pm - 5.00pm) - Teacher lead afternoon activities
|Explore London, learn about its culture, customs & history and improve your English with our specially designed Real English activities
|Explore the city, learn Real English (20 hrs per week)
|See and learn about London's famous markets: Camden, Notting Hill, Portobello Road, ...
|Group projects to encourage faster learning
|Visit London’s landmarks and learn to interact with Londoners using task-based activities, worksheets included
|Age of student
||Available only for 12 to 15 year olds
||Beginners (A1) to Advanced (C2)
|Maximal class size
||Average 10 students, Maximum 16 students
|Lesson hours per week
||Morning Classes (15 hrs per week) plus Afternoon Activities (20 hrs per week)
|Course start dates
||You can start your course on any Monday from 6th July to 10th August (subject to availability).
||9.00am – 12:15pm and 1.00pm to 5.00pm
||From 1 week - 12 weeks
||Monday 7th June 2021 until Friday 27th August 2021.
Important: Students aged 12 to 15 must have a legal guardian in London and parental consent forms must be signed.
Group bookings welcome with a group leader. Please contact the school office.
Care & Support for 12 to 15 Year Olds
At Lexis we put the safety and security of your child first.
We have very important rules for 12 – 15 year olds on our Teen Summer English courses. These special rules are explained at the first day induction and are in our Code of Conduct for Under 18s that the student must sign, and also our Parental Consent Form that both the parents and student must sign. 12 -15 year old students will also have a meeting every week with the welfare officer.
Below are some of the ways in which we safeguard your child:
- All our staff members have completed enhanced police checks before starting work with Under 18s at Lexis. This includes teachers, activity staff, group leaders, other school staff and homestay hosts.
- All our staff members have received at least basic level safeguarding training.
- Two members of the management team have received advanced and specialist safeguarding training.
- Trained first aiders are present all the time on the school premises and staff leading off-site activities are also first aid trained.
- We maintain a maximum staff:student ratio of 1:16 in the classroom (1 teacher for up to 16 students) for our Teen Summer English courses.
- We maintain a maximum staff:student ratio of 2:15 / 3:30 on school trips (2 adults for up to 15 students, 3 adults for 16-30 students) for our Teen Summer English courses.
Contact with other age groups
- 12 – 15 year olds will be taught separately from those aged 16+, i.e. in their own junior classes.
- Only students aged 12 - 15 are allowed to join our Teen Summer English course, so you can be sure that your children will only be studying and taking part in afternoon activities with students of the same age or similar.
- We stagger our Teen Summer English and Summer English for Adults’ class times. This means class start times, break times and class finish times are different for these courses and so there is no (or minimal) interaction between the 12 and 15 year olds and older students.
Before, during and after lessons
- 12 – 15 year olds have to report to reception when they arrive at school in the morning. If a student has not arrived 10 minutes into the start of the lesson, the welfare officer will try to locate him/ her.
- Students must bring a packed lunch to school. If they wish to buy any additional snacks or food, a Lexis staff member will accompany them to a local shop/ supermarket.
- When students leave the school after lunch for their afternoon Real English activities, their activity leader and/ or group leader signs them out of the school building.
- We have comprehensive measures in place to safeguard your child while on any trips and excursions, for example clear safety guidelines and risk assessments for each activity and trip.
- At the end of the afternoon Real English activities, all students must return to Lexis with their group leaders to be released according to their agreed travel arrangements.
For individual students (12 -15 years old) booked on a Teen Summer English course
- Individual 12 – 15 year olds, living with a parent/ legal guardian, will have no supervision outside of their class times and afternoon programme. They must be accompanied by their parent/ legal guardian when travelling from their home to school in the morning and school to home in the afternoon.
- The parent/ legal guardian can agree to allow their child to travel to and from school alone, provided that the journey is less than a 15 minute walk, when completing our Parental Consent Form.
For students (12 -15 years old) travelling as a group and booked on a Teen Summer English course
- 12 – 15 year olds studying as part of a group will be living with at least one other student his/ her age in a local homestay.
- Each parent/ legal guardian can agree to allow their child to travel to and from school in pairs or threes, provided that the journey is less than a 15 minute walk, when completing our Parental Consent Form.
- Students must return to their homestay in the afternoon without delay. Homestay hosts will to contact the school office if the students are delayed longer than 30 minutes from the expected arrival time. Students are not allowed to leave their homestay without adult supervision.
How to Make Contact
- Students can arrange to speak to the Welfare Officer during normal school hours (9:00am – 5:00pm) to discuss any problems. More detailed information is in the handbook for students, parents & guardians, which will be sent to you when you enrol.
- We provide a 24 hour emergency contact number for students to ring if they have any serious problems outside normal school hours.
- For more details please see the following links to our policies:
- More information will be shared with you upon registration, e.g. handbooks and safety guidelines etc.
The perfect way for teenagers to:
- Improve their fluency and confidence when speaking English
- Explore the famous sights of London
- Learn English in an international setting, making friends with students from around the world
The Summer English course covers:
- Reading, writing, listening & speaking
- Vocabulary, grammar & pronunciation
- Real English for everyday communication
- General English (all levels)
- Help with preparation for Cambridge Exams - if requested, groups only
|Number of weeks
||Cost per week (£ GBP)
||Examples of total fees payable
|| £1230 (3 weeks)
||£1520 (4 weeks) £2280 (6 weeks)
|| £2520 (7 weeks) £4320 (12 weeks)
Course fees include:
- 30+ hours per week
- All course books and materials
- Certificate of completion
- Afternoon Real English lessons while exploring the sights & sounds of London; famous parks, walks, museums and attractions
- One afternoon project
Registration fee: £50.
The registration fee includes:
- Course books & materials (£30-£40)
- Student ID card
- 60 minute placement test
- Level Assessment Interview
- End of course Certificate of Completion
|You can book to take the following Cambridge exams when registering or after creating an online Lexis account:
|B1 Preliminary, formerly known as Cambridge English Preliminary (PET)
|B2 First, formerly known as Cambridge English First (FCE)
|C1 Advanced, formerly known as Cambridge Advanced (CAE)
|We advise you on dates and procedures and register you by the given deadlines.
|Exam Fees from £150
You will be given the opportunity to practise your exam skills during our regular mock exams.
Mock exam dates are released monthly for the month ahead.
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
|As a Cambridge exam preparation centre Lexis prepares you for the IELTS exam, however we are unable to register you for it.
|Advice on how to register is given. Please ask in reception
|Exam Fees from £175
Course brochure coming soon